Although most people associate college with fun and freedom, not everyone has as positive of an experience as others. In fact, this is a time when many teenagers are exposed to drugs, alcohol, and other harmful substances for the first time.
And while most students are responsible for having fun, others will become addicted and face even worse consequences than expected. Don’t worry, there are highly-reputable rehab programs for college students that are specifically designed to treat the developing mind.
Why are College Students Vulnerable to Addiction?
College is a vulnerable time for many teenagers who are still trying to find their path in life. Their mind, body, and soul are changing rapidly, and it can be hard to keep up with, but you also have to account for the massive amount of pressure constantly weighing them down.
Here are some of the most prominent reasons why college students are so prone to addiction:
- They’re overcome by curiosity, especially if they haven’t had the freedom to explore it until entering college
- They give in to peer pressure with the hopes of fitting in or impressing others
- They use drugs or alcohol as a way of escaping all the stress and anxiety in their life
- Drugs and alcohol are readily available for most college students that want them
- They use drugs or alcohol to hide their lack of self-esteem
- They are misguided by the sudden decrease in parental involvement, especially when living in a dorm
- They find it easier to study or perform academically when on certain drugs
It doesn’t matter how much you try to protect your child; their chances of being exposed to alcohol and drugs while attending college is high. What we can do is prepare them for these moments and teach them at an early age that drugs aren’t the answer.
How Many College Students Struggle with Addiction?
Did you know that nearly 37% of college students use illegal drugs or alcohol regularly? It’s a growing problem in the United States, where alcohol and drugs are readily available to just about anyone who wants them – no matter how illegal the drugs are or young the student is.
Let’s take a look at some statistics surrounding college students and addiction:
- 1 in 9 college students report daily or near-daily use of marijuana
- Roughly 4% of college students have used MDMA or Ecstasy
- Roughly 5% of college students have used LSD and other hallucinogens
- Roughly 5% of college students have used cocaine before
- 3 of every 4 college students drink alcohol, and 60% reported drinking in the past month
- 28% of college students binge-drink
- Marijuana use among college students is at an all-time high
- More than 1 in 10 college students use Adderall
Although there are a growing number of college students abusing alcohol and other harmful drugs, there are also a growing number of college student rehab facilities that exclusively focus their efforts on the college student population – more specifically, between 18-22 years old.
What Drugs Do College Students Use the Most?
Like any population, college students are known for using and abusing just about any drug or harmful substance you can think of. With that said, certain drugs are more popular than others among college students, and we must acknowledge that if we’re going to protect them from it.
Let’s take a look at some of the drugs college students use the most:
- Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, etc.
- Marijuana and CBD
- Ecstasy, MDMA, or Molly
- Cocaine and other addictive stimulants
- Benzodiazepines or Xanax
It doesn’t matter what drug they prefer, college students are bound to face the consequences when using or abusing alcohol, drugs, and other harmful substances – especially if they do it regularly. To prevent the problem from worsening, seek help immediately and don’t look back.
Are There Rehab Programs for College Students?
When most people picture a rehab facility in their mind, they picture adults and older individuals who have been dealing with addiction for decades. The good news is that there are California rehab programs for college students who want to be around like-minded individuals with similar experiences.
At Multi Concept Recovery, we are proud to offer a program for and only for college students. We understand college students have unique needs when overcoming addiction, and we take into account the cultural norms that play a role in a developing mind.
Multi Concept Recovery Center is an outpatient rehab center in Burbank, CA. Whether seeking addiction or mental health treatment in Southern California, Multi Concept Recovery can help. Call us today to learn more about our treatment programs and how we can help you.